Wednesday, October 30, 2013

a funny thing happened on the way to our campsite

When we arrived at the campground and stopped at the check in station there wasn't anyone there.  We have seen that before at COE campgrounds but usually they have a sign posting the time that someone will be there and we go ahead to our site and return later to register.  I had made a reservation, which I usually do, but hadn't written down the site number and needed the host to tell me what site we had.  I usually have a printout of our reservations and don't know why I hadn't done that for this trip, note to self be sure to have a print of reservation locations.

There wasn't any time posted or listing of reserved sites so I walked over to the host RV site and knocked on the door but no one was home.  I knew that I had our reservations saved in our email on the computer but without an internet connection that wasn't available.  Lucky for us another camper was driving out of the park and stopped to ask if they could help.  They told me that the host always took Tuesdays and Wednesdays off so was not available.  I told them our plight and they said that they thought they probably knew where there was a reserved site like I told them we were supposed to be in.  They took us into the park and we found our site that was reserved with an orange traffic cone.  After getting set up and able to get our computer connected I confirmed that we were in the correct site and all is well.  As it turns out, that very helpful couple were the only other campers in the campground.  Later as we drove out of the park to find a few groceries we saw that the host RV was GONE so not only did they take the two days off they got an early departure because the campground shuts down after Thursday.  Later I realized that I could have read our saved emails on my smart-phone but didn't think of that when I needed it.

As we drove out to the grocery store we saw a small herd of deer, 4 or 5, just grazing beside the road.
  After the grocery store, we stopped at Fred's Fish House (they didn't honor my owners discount) for a very nice catfish dinner.  We were seated by a window at the back of the restaurant and looking out at the field we saw 3-4 deer also grazing near the edge of the woods.  This has been a great wildlife viewing trip.

No comments: